On Saturday, January 13th we’ll gather at Old Main Building on the Texas State University campus in San Marcos, TX for our 12th annual Winter Meeting. We cordially invite all SABR members and their guests to join us.
Our keynote speaker, Branch B. Rickey, president of the Pacific Coast League, will highlight a fun-filled day of baseball talk, pictures, and memorabilia.
Other presentations include:
- Mike Capps of the Round Rock Express giving us the run-down on the Rangers’ 2017 season, offseason, and future.
- Lisa Carter from KHOU in Houston discussing how she covered the Astros and the 2017 World Series.
- Ira Siegel sharing his experiences with RBI (Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities) Austin, an MLB-led effort to keep the passion of the game alive in underprivileged youth.
- Anne Keene telling us how her father played ball with Ted Williams and Johnny Sain during their WWII service days.
- Monte Cely regaling us with tales of his recent Cuban baseball adventure.
- Jim Baker leading us in a fun, challenging guessing game.
Of course we’ll have a mock Hall of Fame voting led by Jan Larson. Does Chipper Jones make your ballot? How about Andruw? Do Jim Thome’s 612 home runs make you want to check the box next to his name? You’ll get to have your say.
Finally, we’re excited to bring you a different kind of event: Baseball Bingo! Get ready to mingle with your fellow seamheads, because you’ll need their signatures on your card in order to win.
Please remember to bring:
- $10 cash for lunch from Which Which.
- Any memorabilia you’d like to share or discuss. We’ll have a table for display and have scheduled time for people to present their items to the group.
- Any baseball-related books you’d like to exchange.
12th Annual Hornsby Chapter Winter Meeting
Saturday, January 13th 2018, 9:30 AM – 4:30PM
Old Main Building, third floor. Texas State Campus, San Marcos TX
- From I-35, take exit 206 (Aquarena Springs Dr.)
- Travel west on Aquarena Springs Drive, which turns into University Drive.
- After crossing the San Marcos River, you will come to a traffic light. Turn right onto Sessom Drive.
- Just before the first light, turn left on State Street and go up a steep road toward Old Main.
- Go through a gate (the gate should be up) and continue up the hill.
- At the top of the hill, make a sharp left turn and drive up to Old Main.
- Look for parking on this road that winds around the side and back of Old Main.
You can find additional parking at the Pleasant Street Garage, located at the corner of N. LBJ and Pleasant Street. To reach this garage, after you pass through the gate, continue up the hill, then down the hill to the stop sign on Pleasant Street. Turn left; the entrance to the parking garage will be on your left.
You do not need a parking pass to park on campus – however, do not park in spaces not marked as parking spaces or in handicapped parking (unless you have the appropriate tag displayed).
The meeting room is on the third floor in Room 320. There is an elevator on the first floor, or you can take the stairs.
Tell your friends! Hope to see you there!